Delectable, that is a really misleading word... I suppose I am not the only person misunderstanding it as deletable...
For the whole afternoon the internet radion I listened to was presenting a conversation on how once upon a time the white turned against Asian-American communities and how that hostility was still justifiable. The invited speaker, a UMass Boston researcher in Asian American studies, was apparently well equipped to finding excuses for all set of practices in the great nation's history with her contested memory. To be honest, I would never be delighted to be participating such ridiculous and low-performing researches. It would be more inspiring to launch or partner with natural science initiatives. I of course have respect for historical and ethnical studies, but this very research was making neither academic contribution nor moral reflection. Personally I would say this research was no more than wrestling with the unexpressible dignity of its people, who consider themselves as a community bridging the gap with all other alien species.
Anyway it doesn't seem like research institutes are going to slow down or terminate such meaningless projects, as long as they could have incredibly stable fundings. And perhaps some of my undergraduate peers will continue to be affiliates with these groups trying to provide some narrow pathways to academic success for young scholars.
I have got such situation as well before I was kicked out from the waiting list of UPenn anthropology. It was a pity at that moment. But there then was a day when I came to realize, that how this program would lead me unto a path far away from my childhood dream.
I might just want to live a delectable life.
No comments:
Post a Comment